Chiswick prospered during the 18th century. Two breweries were established. The brewery which later became the Griffin brewery was founded by Thomas Mawson in 1701; the Sich family started the Lamb Brewery next door in 1790. The first Kew Bridge was built in 1759. It was made of wood and replaced with a stone bridge in 1789. Many new houses were put up, particularly around Chiswick Mall and at Turnham Green and older properties such as Grove House, Corney House and Walpole House on Chiswick Mall rebuilt, remodelled or refronted. Chiswick now attracted many noble, artistic and scholarly residents. Essayist and poet Alexander Pope lived with his parents in Mawson Row between 1716 and 1719. He was a great friend of the 3rd Earl of Burlington, the `architect earlâ€™, who built the Palladian villa we now call Chiswick House between 1725-9, and laid out the grounds with his friend William Kent. William Hogarth bought his `little country box;â€™ in Hogarth Lane (now the A4) in 1749, and artist Johann Zoffany rented London Style House in 1764, moving to 65 Strand-on-the-Green in 1783. Eminent scholar, Dr William Rose ran a school for 30 years at Bradmore House, Chiswick Lane. He was a great friend of Dr Samuel Johnson, a frequent visitor, also of Jean Jacques Rousseau who came to live in Chiswick for a brief time to be near Rose. Another friend was Dr Ralph Griffiths who founded the Monthly Review which he edited for 50 years. Griffiths lived at Linden House, Turnham Green (where Linden Gardens is today). The Earl of Burlington died in 1753 and the Jacobean and Palladian Chiswick houses were inherited by the dukes of Devonshire (Burlingtonâ€™s daughter had married William Cavendish, later the 4th Duke of Devonshire). When the 5th Duke inherited in 1764, he and his wife, society queen, Georgiana, entertained their Whig friends at Chiswick. Georgianaâ€™s favourite statesman was Charles James Fox, grandson of Sir Stephen Fox. Charles Fox died at Chiswick House while he was Foreign Secretary. The Devonshires demolished the Jacobean Chiswick House and added two wings to the Palladian villa.
Â©Gillian Clegg, 2007