Open: Guided tours on London Open House weekend, 20/21 September (check Open-City for more details).
History: In 1874 Chiswick parish vestry, which previously met in the church and local pubs, decided to build its own vestry hall. This was completed in 1876 and contained meeting rooms, assembly rooms and government offices. It became a centre of social life with balls, concerts, lectures and political meetings. In 1900 work began to enlarge the building and it was re-opened as the town hall for the newly-formed Chiswick Urban District Council in 1901. After the formation of the London Borough of Hounslow in 1965, local government transferred to Hounslow and the town Hall is now hired out for meetings and film shoots, although it does still contains some government offices.